Legislation and Advocacy Resources
This page is dedicated to information, and resources for PTA leadership, Legislation and Advocacy chairs and any PTA member committed to advocating for every child.
Still have questions? Contact the First District PTA VP Legislation & Advocacy Charleen Mejia via email at Legislation@PTA1.org.
Latest Advocacy News
Become a First District PTA A-Lister and receive all the latest Advocacy news!
We are building an A-Team (Advocacy Team) in First District to build and support our PTA advocacy. This is a sign up to receive information and notifications regarding PTA advocacy on issues and events with a focus on First District PTA. This information will ONLY be used for PTA purposes.
CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE A-TEAM MAILING LIST!
There are several ways you can get involved in our advocacy efforts and help make a difference:
- Get informed and engaged with CAPTA’s Advocacy Updates and Legislative Action Reports
- Attend the annual CAPTA Legislation Conference
- Contact your legislators
- Research current legislation
- Learn more about California’s state budget
- See California laws by subject area
- Check out federal legislation and policy information from National PTA
- Review PTA position statements and resolutions
Advocacy Resources for PTA Leaders
California State PTA
- Legislative Program
- Organizational Goals and Advocacy Team
- Job Description for Legislative Advocacy Chair
- National PTA Takes Action
- National PTA Policy Agenda
- Where Social Media and Policy Collide
- The Power of Parents
Overview of Education Systems
- School Districts
- California State Standards for College and Career Readiness
- Tests: Standardized Measures of Student Success
- Smarter Balanced Assessments
- A Well-Rounded Education
- Time: After-School, Summer School, Class Size, Absences
State Legislative Information
- How a Bill Becomes A Law
- Structure of California State Legislature
- Senate Roster
- Assembly Roster
- Legislative Leadership
- Committees, Hearings and Events
- Legislative Calendar
- Sample Legislative Calendar
State Budget and School Finance
- Annual Budget Process
- Navigating the Budget Process
- Spending: Does California Skimp on Schools?
- What do Education Dollars Buy?
- Prop 13 and Prop 98
- Local Control Funding Formula (LCFF)
- What’s a Local Control and Accountability Plan (LCAP)?
- LCAP Resources and Handouts
- How Facilities are Financed
Education Advocacy News and info
- Fingertips Facts in Education – California
- State Board of Education
- Legislative Analyst’s Office (State) – Education Publications
- Congressional Budget Office (National) – Education
- Ed100 (the source for many of the links on this page)
- National Center for Education Statistics
- Smart Voter (League of Women Voters)